Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I am a hair dresser. Part of what I earn goes to chem fees.

I am a hair dresser. Part of what I earn goes to chem fees. These are fees that are charged to us by the owners to pay for supplies. We were told we could not claim them on our taxes because we do not pay taxes on them. Last year I paid almost $6000.00 in chem fees. Can I claim that as a business expense on my taxes?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,

What you were told is correct -- which is that if these fees were never included in your taxable income to begin with, then you cannot claim a tax deduction for the fees paid.

If you are an employee of the salon where you work and they include these fees as part of your taxable wages in box 1 of your W-2 form, then you could claim the fees as an employee expense. Or if you are an independent contractor and the fees you pay are included in the income reported to you on a 1099 form, then you could claim the fees as a business expense. But if the fees were never included as part of your taxable income, then there is nothing you are allowed to deduct, as you did not pay tax on those fees to begin with. By the employer not including them as part of your taxable income, that is in effect already deducting it from the income you pay taxes on.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.

Thank you JA Customer