Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I am in Calif. I am moving within the same county. I qualify

I am in Calif. I am moving within the same county. I qualify for a proosition 60 property
tax adjustment but don't know how to go about applying for it. Can you tell me what to do to keep the same prop. tax amount that I have right now??
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 years ago.

What is a county you are moving to?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I live in Orange county, Ca and i'm staying here. the new house is in Orange county also
Expert:  Lev replied 6 years ago.

Here is the form you should use -

See the address for submitting the form on the first page and some additional information on the second page.

The following conditions must be met for tax relief to be granted under Prop. 60:

a) Both the original property (former residence) and its replacement must be located in the same county.

b) As of the date of transfer of the original property, the seller or a spouse living with the seller must be at least 55 years old.

c) The original property must have been eligible for the Homeowners' Exemption or entitled to the Disabled Veterans' Exemption.

d) The replacement dwelling must be of equal or lesser value than the original property.

e) The replacement dwelling must have been purchased or newly constructed on or after 11/06/86.

f) The replacement dwelling must be purchased or newly constructed within two years (before or after) of the sale of the original property.

g) The original property must be subject to reappraisal at its current fair market value as the result of its transfer, in accordance with Sections 110.1 or 5803 of the Revenue and Taxation Code.

h) A claim for relief must be filed within three years of the date a replacement dwelling is purchased or new construction of a replacement dwelling is completed.

Prop. 60 allows the transfer of an existing Proposition 13 base year value from a former residence to a replacement residence, if conditions mentioned above are met.

Let me know if you need any help.

Edited by LEV on 7/2/2010 at 2:56 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I already knew that I qualified. I told you that. My original question was how do I file? With whom do I file? What is the process?
Expert:  Lev replied 6 years ago.

You need to file a claim with your county Assessor.

The form to use is referenced above.

The address to file is on the form - I am putting it here for your convenience:

P.O BOX 22000

The Assessor will determine the market value of each property and your claim will be processed.

Let me know if you need any help.