BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Owner of a CPA firm

My fiancee and I live in different states; Massachusetts and

My fiancee and I live in different states; Massachusetts and New Jersey respectively. Out collective income is as such: me living in NJ with $110,000 gross income, no dependents, her living in Mass, apprximately $72,000 gross income, homeowner, 3 dependents. I'd like to know what, if any advantage there would be to us getting married, even if we needed to maintain 2 different state(s) of residency for awhile until I can land a job in Mass, earning what I am in NJ. I know there are some other variables to consider, but I'd like to get a cursory look at it before I rule this option out.

My tax professor used to declare (comically) that he and his wife were getting divorced every year back when I was in college for tax purposes.

Generally, there is a "marriage tax." It's because of the income tax brackets and effective tax rates. Sometimes, additional credits can be had, or if one person has income while the other doesn't etc., things work out, but with both of you making income, you're almost surely better off remaining unmarried for tax purposes.

Good luck!!

Thank you for your question.