BK-CPA
BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Owner of a CPA firm
36384704

Hi, Ive worked for Google in California for 5 months on C2C

Customer Question

I've worked for Google in California for 5 months on C2C basis using my Nevada S-Corp. Do I have to register my S-Corp as foreign corporation with state of California in order to pay personal taxes?

Thank you
Alex
Category: Tax
Expert:  BK-CPA replied 4 years ago.

Yes.

If you are working in CA, the tax is sourced there, even though your company is registered to NV, so you'll end up with an apportionment (allocating income/deductions between the two states).

General info:

http://www.ftb.ca.gov/businesses/bus_structures/sCorp.shtml

Filing Guidelines

• S corporations that organize in California, register in California, conduct business in California, or receive California source income, must file California Form 100S, California S Corporation Franchise or Income Tax Return.

Here are the forms:

http://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2009/100S_Table_of_Contents.shtml

Get the 100S Tax Booklet for S corporations, including all its forms, schedules, and instructions.

Forms and schedules

• 100S Form -- California S Corporation Franchise or Income Tax Return
  • 100S Schedule B/C/D/H
    • 100S Schedule B -- S Corporation Depreciation and Amortization
    • 100S Schedule C -- S Corporation Tax Credits
    • 100S Schedule D -- S Corporation Capital Gains and Losses and Built-in Gains
    • 100S Schedule H -- S Corporation Dividend Income Deduction
  • 100S Schedule K-1 -- Shareholder's Share of Income, Deductions, Credits, etc.
  • 100S Schedule QS -- Qualified Subchapter S Subsidiary (QSub) Information Worksheet
  • 3539 (CORP) Form -- Payment for Automatic Extension for Corps and Exempt Orgs
  • 3805Q Form -- Net Operating Loss (NOL) Computation and NOL and Disaster Loss Limitations-
    Corporations

Thank you for your question.

Experience: Owner of a CPA firm
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your answer.
Could you clarify about my W2 - should I create 2 W2s - one for each state? or 1 W2 and list 2 states there.
Also can I uses nonresident form when I file taxes in CA and part-resident for CT?

Thank you
Expert:  BK-CPA replied 4 years ago.

The important part is that you withhold in each state as applicable...

I've personally seen W2's with two states (they have extra lines on them, and this is more common) or two W2's (payroll companies seem to like this...). That part really doesn't matter, as it is all the same in the end, just so that all amounts get reported correctly. Don't issue two W2's to the federal government, one for each state, as you'll make the feds think that the employee has received 2x the wages...

Your residency is determined by your permanent home. It is what it is. Your taxes are then calculated accordingly. A person's residency is ultimately determined according to personal facts and circumstances, for each applicable government potentially under audit etc., so file according to what your residence actually is. (general rule, your permanent residence is the place you plan to return to long-term, not a temporary work assignment)

Thanks again.

Edited by BK-CPA on 6/6/2010 at 12:57 AM EST
Expert:  BK-CPA replied 4 years ago.
I edited my answer after you had looked at it for the residency part, and I'm not sure if you saw the residency info, so I'm posting this info-request. You've no need to respond unless you've need for more clarification. I'm happy to help you in that case.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you,
can i be non-resident in both states?
Expert:  BK-CPA replied 4 years ago.
Yes (nonresident of CA and NV, assuming a CT resident).
Experience: Owner of a CPA firm
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry, figured out myself
please, close this one.