Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

How can I get copies of my tax returns for the years 1997 to

Customer Question

How can I get copies of my tax returns for the years 1997 to 2000?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,

Unfortunately if you do not have copies of your own returns or if your CPA does not have copies going back that far, there is no other source where this information is still available. The IRS is required by law to destroy all tax records that are more than 7 years old. So the oldest returns you could still get from the IRS would be from the year 2003.

I am sorry that I could not give you other options here, but there are just no other agencies that would have copies of your tax returns. I hope this at least answers your questions so you do not continue to search for other options which simply are not available.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you JA Customer

Edited by Merlo on 6/2/2010 at 9:25 PM EST