Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

How do I get copies of last two years W-2s online?

Customer Question

How do I get copies of my W-2's for the last two years?

Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

The only entities that have copies of your W-2 forms would be the employers who issued them and the IRS.

Your quickest option may be to contact the employers and ask if they can issue you duplicate copies of those forms.

If that is not an option you may contact the IRS, and there are 2 options available.

1. If you filed returns for the last 2 years, you can request a copy of your actual tax returns for each of those years, and those would include copies of all tax forms issued to you, including your W-2 forms. The drawback to this option is that the fee is $57 for each tax year being requested and it generally takes around 60 days to receive those copies. Copies of your return are requested by sending Form 4506 to the IRS along with the fee of $57 for each year being requested.

2. You can request a tax transcript from the IRS for each year needed. A tax transcript would not be an actual copy of your W-2 form but it would be a computerized printout showing information from all the W-2 forms issued to you for each year. Tax transcripts are free of charge. They can be ordered by mail using Form 4506-T or over the phone by calling 800 – 829 – 1040 Transcripts generally take around 10 days to receive, although in some cases the IRS can fax you this transcript within 24 hours.

Thank you