How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Texas resident and most of my income for 2009 is from

Resolved Question:

I am a Texas resident and most of my income for 2009 is from my business in Texas. However, I have a small amount($12500) from California. This amount is from my Deferred Compensation Plan from previous job in California. So I am filing CA540NR to pay taxes on this amount. However, Form CA540NR is calculating taxes based on Form 1040 line 37, which includes income from both CA and Texas.
What do I need to do so that I pay CA taxes on CA income only?
Thank you for your help.
Venkat M.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello Venkat,


On California Schedule CA540NR, in column E of that form is where you enter your CA source income only.


On line 45 of that schedule, you will see where it asks you to bring down your total CA income from line 37, column E. That is the amount your tax is then figured on. Your tax is not calculated on your entire income from all states.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button.


Thank you Venkat



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions