Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

How long does it take for tax returns to be logged in as received

Customer Question

How long does it take for tax returns to be logged in as received? I am waiting to be able to complete a home refinance. There is a form needed to complete this but I filled an extension and had not sent in my return. The return was mailed last week. I was just curious as to how long it would take to go on the record.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello mtryan,

It generally takes about 60 days to log in a return as received. This is true even though they may issue your refund sooner or cash the check you sent to pay the taxes that were owed. The return itself has a later log in date.

What you may be able to do is show your lender a copy of your tax return along with a copy of the canceled check you used to pay your taxes, or alternatively a copy of the refund check you received, and use that as evidence that your return was filed.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you mtryan