Experience:  CPA with tax experience.

I live in Minnesota and am taking about $33,000 out of my 401k

I live in Minnesota and am taking about $33,000 out of my 401k for the downpayment on a new home, I'm wondering if there is any way around paying the 10% tax penalty?

Thanks for your question.

No, unfortunately, there is no exception for avoiding the 10% early distribution penalty if you are going to use the funds to purchase a home. You may be able to withdraw the money under a hardship distribution but then it would still be subject to the penalty.

You may want to consider taking a loan from your 401k plan if you are still employed and they offer that feature. Most plans allow you to take up to 50% of your vested account balance as a loan. You would repay through salary deductions. This is the only way to avoid that penalty.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,