Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

My husband pays $3700 a year in health insurance premiums to

My husband pays $3700 a year in health insurance premiums to his employer (via $71.00 weekly paycheck deductions) for our medical/dental/vision insurance. We have other medical expenses to deduct as well. If we can include the health insurance premiums in our total deductions we should meet the 7.5% requirement for medical and dental expenses. So my question is - Are health insurance premiums that we pay to our employer tax deductible?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for using Just Answer.

You may not deduct insurance premiums paid by an employer-sponsored health insurance plan unless the premiums are included in Box 1 of your husband's Form W-2. As long as the premiums are included in income then you are allowed to include them in calculating your Schedule A Medical deductions. If the premiums are taken out of wages before the amount is taxed then you may not use them as a medical deduction.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is useful,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How do I know if they are or aren't included in box 1? The only thing on his last paystub for 2009 that indicates it is "exclududed from federal taxable wages" are his 401K contributions.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 years ago.
Then the premiums are not taken out pre-taxed. You can look at the Box 1 and Box 3 of his W2. If the amounts are different only up to the 401K contributions then the premiums are added in the wages. Any difference in Box 1 and Box 3 shows the amount that was taken out before the wages were taxed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So since the health insurance premiums are NOT taken out pre-taxed I can include them in my medical expenses deduction?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 years ago.
That is correct. If they came out pre-taxed, then you would have already received your tax benefit by not having that amount included in income. Since they were included in the income you are allowed to use them when calculting your Schedule A medical. To have them removed pre-taxed from income would be better.