Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I had an O-1 visa which expired yesterday (31 May 2010), and

I had an O-1 visa which expired yesterday (31 May 2010), and have lived and worked in the US for 3 years. By mutual agreement, I also ceased working for the company at the same time. I have a 6 month severance agreement at full pay as part of my employment contract. I will leave the US by the end of June and return to Switzerland. I will have closed all my US accounts and have no residential ties by the end of June 2010.

Will the company still have to deduct social security during the severance period?

Boston MA
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,

Since your severance pay is connected to services that you performed while living here in the US, the pay will still be subject to SS and Medicare withholding.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you JA Customer