How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerri A Harrison CFP EA Your Own Ques...
Gerri A Harrison CFP EA
Gerri A Harrison CFP EA , Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 252
Experience:  27 years of preparing income tax returns - both personal and small business
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Gerri A Harrison CFP EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owe IRS $12,000 since I neglected to have taxes taken out

Resolved Question:

I owe IRS $12,000 since I neglected to have taxes taken out of my early Social Security benefits and unemployment. I admit this was my error. I thought I had taken care of this early on, but this situation hit me hard and it fell through the cracks. I was laid off after 16 years from my job as a legal secretary in one of Boston's larger law firms due to a reduction in force. I am soon to be 63 years old and it is truly impossible to find work in the field.

When I sent in my taxes, I enclosed a $2,000 check in good faith and signed a form requesting a payment plan -- $100/mo. (automatic debit). So now it's $10,000 owed. I awaiting IRS's response to my request.

Is there any way this amount can be reduced?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Gerri A Harrison CFP EA replied 6 years ago.

The only way to get the tax reduced would be if you qualified under the offer in compromise program. If you have a decent income - even if it is SS and unemployment or you have assets - even if they are retirement plan assets it is likely that the IRS is not going to accept an offer in compromise. They generally accept only if they feel there is not sufficient income to pay the tax over an extended period of time (this is generally 15 years or more).


The penalties and interest are going to continue to accumulate until the amount is paid in full. If you have a good credit score you would probably be better off if you get a loan from a bank or credit union and paid the IRS off. Or if you have a relative or friend who would loan you interest at a reasonable rate that would work too. Do you cash available on a life insurance policy that you could use? Do you have things you could sell on e bay or Craig's list to pull in some cash. Even if you cannot find a full time job once your unemployment ran out you might consider a part-time job to pay the bill off sooner.


With the penalties and interest for IRS it is a total of about 11% in penalties and interest so if you can borrow money cheaper than that you would be better off.


If you cannot borrow then the key is to pay IRS off as quick as you can. Even though you requested a monthly installment of $100 you can always send more to get it paid off quicker. Even though IRS has not accepted your installment agreement yet you can start and should start sending payments in as soon as you can. Sending in smaller payments more often will greatly effect the penalties and interest since the principal will be going down much faster.


If you want to see about the offer in compromise you can go to and read about it - just type "offer in compromise" in the search box and it will bring up the info. Note - to file an offer you would have to pay a $150 application fee unless you qualified under the hardship rules.


I wish you luck. Unfortunately you are in the same position as many others.


If there is a specific question I can answer please hit the need info button and ask. Otherwise please hit the accept button to close out the question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I'm not sure if this is the very last unemployment extension there is or if it will continue until the end of the year. We've had conflicting reports. You never find out until the last minute. I was told if it was the end of unemployment with this extension, it will end mid-July. That would only leave Social Security which, now that taxes are going to be taken out, will be $1090. That will be it. And I only have approximately $13,000 left in my Fidelity Retirement Account. That's it. Is that still too much????
Expert:  Gerri A Harrison CFP EA replied 6 years ago.

With you on unemployment IRS might want to wait a few years before they would be willing to do an offer in compromise to see if you found work. And of course continue to accrue penalties and interest in the meantime.


Is there a local IRS office near you? If you could walk in and talk with someone you might be able to get an answer specific to your situation as to whether or not they think they would accept an offer in compromise. I would not recommend trying that on the telephone since you are not likely to find someone willing to take the time to understand your situation.


Also - with that low amount I would say that you would qualify for the hardship rules to not have to pay the application fee if you file an offer in compromise. So - you could consider filing one just to see if they would accept.


I will tell you that it is not an easy document to complete and you may find yourself in need of an accountant to help fill it out which means you really would want to be fairly sure it would be accepted before you pay the fees to prepare it.


If you want to take a look to see if you could complete it yourself, go to and search for offer in compromise to bring up the form and take a look at it.


Good luck and I hope it works out. IRS overall is being kinder in these situations but sometimes it does just depend on who you get.



Gerri A Harrison CFP EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 252
Experience: 27 years of preparing income tax returns - both personal and small business
Gerri A Harrison CFP EA and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience