Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I recieved a letter from PA stating that I owe back taxes from

I recieved a letter from PA stating that I owe back taxes from "1988". I have'nt lived in PA since 1994. I have no records from 22 years ago. Is there a SOL for PA state taxes?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 years ago.

Yes - there is a statute of limitation. Here is the law -

§ 119.14. Limitations on assessment and collection.

(a) The amount of any tax imposed by this article will be assessed within three years after the return was filed.

§ 119.15. Omission from return.
If the taxpayer omits from the income stated in the return of a tax imposed by this article an amount properly includable therein which is in excess of 25% of the income so stated, the tax may be assessed, or a proceeding in court for the collection of such tax may be begun without assessment, at any time within 6 years after the return was filed.

However if the tax return was not filled - the statute of limitation would not apply.

So you need to request from PA DOR a copy of your 1988 tax return.

If you would not be provide a proof that your tax return was filled - you might be held liable for the tax.

Let me know if you need any help.