Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

i would my same adviser from my last tax question , STEPHEN

i would my same adviser from my last tax question , STEPHEN MYERSON..STEVE, IF I HAVE A SMALL BUSINESS, BUT HAVE NOT FILED AN INCOME TAX REPORT FOR THE LAST 9 YEARS,,HOW CAN I DO THE RIGHT THING AND GET THIS STRAIGHTEN OUT OR WHAT DO YOU ADVISE...THE BUSINESS HAS NOT CLEARED PROFITS AND I AM SUPPORTING MY GRANDAUGHTER AND MYSELF
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 4 years ago.

Dear oulhegj -

I think you would like Stephen Grizey to respond. He assisted you in the past, but is not currently online. I have sent him a message to let him know that a customer has requested him.

MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience: CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 4 years ago.

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

A little information would be helpful in advising you.

1. What type of business is it?

2. What is the approximate average total annual revenue?

3. How is the business organized, ie. sole proprietorship, corporation, partnership?

4. Other than not getting a "roundtoit", is there some reason why you didn't file any tax returns for the business?

5. Did you file any personal tax returns during this period?

6. Do you have the accounting/bookkeeping records for the business; are they summarized in a form that can be used to prepare tax returns, or do receipts/disbursements have to be classified, analyzed, summarized, etc.

If you can provide the answers to these questions, I will try to assist you in developing a "plan of attack" to resolve this situation.

Steve

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
MY BUSINESS IS A SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP AND WE REFINISH FURNITURE...I STOPPED FILING TAXES BECAUSE I WAS LOSING MONEY..THE ONLY ACCURATE RECORD I HAVE IS MY QUARTERLY SALES TAXES REPORTS THAT I PAY QUARTERLY , BUT I HAVE NOT PAID PERSONAL TAXES FOR THE LAST FIVE TO SEVEN YEARS..DEE DEE

Dee Dee

Well, there's no easy answer to this situation........

Unfortunately, losing money is no excuse for not filing your returns.

What makes you think you were losing money?

If you are losing money, how are you supporting yourself & your granddaughter? Did you receive any other earned income from a job during this period, that would have produced enough income to provide your support?

These are the kind of questions the IRS will ask you.

If you have your receipts numbers from the sales tax returns, perhaps you can identify enough expenses to more than cover the receipts & that would be one way to demonstrate that you were losing money.

The IRS would tell you to obtain duplicate bank statements & use them to figure out your income & expenses & get your tax returns filed.

Generally, in situations like this, we would start by completing the returns for the last 3 years, & then see where you stand to determine what to do next.

It is much better to get this done before the IRS decides to audit. There's a good chance that they won't come looking for you, and even if you file the last three year's returns, depending on what they show, they won't come looking for you then either.

Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience: Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues