Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

if you owe taxes,how long do you to file before they send you

if you owe taxes,how long do you to file before they send you to jail
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,

It is very rare that the IRS ever pursues criminal charges against a taxpayer, even when back taxes are owed for many years. Criminal charges are basically only pursued when someone has demonstrated a clear attempt at intentional tax fraud by hiding money in overseas accounts and things of that nature.

If you have simply not filed and/or not paid your taxes in a number of years, the IRS will pursue you for collection of those taxes by placing liens and levies on any assets you own, but it is highly unlikely that would actually try to put you in jail.

Thank you JA Customer

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what is there process,do they levi against bank account first og go after gagnish of pay roll first
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

I already answered this question in another thread. Please refer to the other question you posted.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
when wages are garnished,do they get all my pay
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello again JA Customer,

No, they do not get all of your pay. It depends on how much you make and what your filing status is. There is no way I could give you an exact amount or an exact percentage of how much they would take, but I can tell you that they do take a considerable amount -- it could be as high as 75% of your net pay.

Thank you JA Customer

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can unemployment checks be garnished
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello again JA Customer,

Yes, they can. The IRS can garnish any type of benefits you are getting including unemployment, disability and SS benefits.