How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask BK-CPA Your Own Question
BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 933
Experience:  Owner of a CPA firm
Type Your Tax Question Here...
BK-CPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

You answered my first question onme paying taxes on a conversion

This answer was rated:

You answered my first question onme paying taxes on a conversion of a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA for 2008. Now taxes are going to be do on my filed 2009 return which I already submitted.
This is the question would I pay both 2008 & 2009 taexes together or wait for a notification from the govt for the 2009 notification with the reasoning behind this decision, besides on my 2009 I deducted a service dog expenses my wife is a diabetic I had a letter from the Doctor stating it was a necessary situation my accountant didn't think this letter was necessary. At this time when I file my 2009 adjusted return would I include the letter yes or no with a reason why I should or shouldn't include the letter.

For each tax year, you file and pay separately. You do this whether or not you file an amended return, and regardless of what is on the returns themselves. It sounds like, if I understand your question correctly, you are now going to file an amended return? In any case...


No, don't attach the letter. First of all, you're not supposed to attach such a letter... you could if you wanted to I guess, but that just gives the IRS ammo. Second, you are to retain such documentation in the case of an audit, and during an audit, I highly suggest you supply only the information requested. Finally, if you deducted the service dog on your original return, and you are not changing anything with respect to that deduction, then attaching a letter about the service dog to your amended return is just going to get confusing and make it more likely you'll get audited.


Side note here, sorry: Your question is hard to understand because you used very poor grammar and run-on sentences, so if I'm not understanding you correctly, reply to let me know and be clear when you do. This helps me answer your question correctly.


Thank you for your question.



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry I write like cr-p. What I want to know do I pay both my 2008 return and my 2009 return together both IRS and State of NY or wait for a notification on my 2009 return. The 2008 return I have to pay anyway for IRS and NY State tax. I don't like the idea of having 2009 taxes hanging over me. Why shouldn't I pay my 2008 which is do and figure out what is do for 2009 and pay that also>


I don't know why you would be waiting to pay a 2008 tax obligation: IRS, state, or local.


I'm not sure what notification you're waiting for.


Use separate envelopes and separate checks with appropriate vouchers for making payments, otherwise you'll just confuse the government agencies.


You should figure out what is due for 2009 as well, and pay that too. The deadline for payment is due, even if you have some sort of extension to file.

Edited by BK-CPA on 5/3/2010 at 10:39 PM EST
BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 933
Experience: Owner of a CPA firm
BK-CPA and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have taxes do because I converted a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA and didn't pay the taxes for 2008. I want o know should I pay 2009 taxes which be at a minimum interst or wait for a notification?

Would I pay 2008 & 2009 under a seperate cover before the IRS notifies me for taxes do for 2009?


You should have paid this for 2008. If you didn't you owe it and you need to pay it. If your 2008 return has now been filed incorrectly, you need to amend it. Make the payment with your amended return. No, you shouldn't sit back and wait for a notice. This is not a valid excuse for failure to pay tax when due, and you will owe interest and penalties on unpaid taxes.


If there is nothing wrong with your 2009 return, you don't need to amend it. If you haven't filed it yet, yes, you need to and will owe interest and penalties on any balance due.

Edited by BK-CPA on 5/3/2010 at 11:04 PM EST

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience