BK-CPA
BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Owner of a CPA firm

You answered my first question onme paying taxes on a conversion

Customer Question

You answered my first question onme paying taxes on a conversion of a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA for 2008. Now taxes are going to be do on my filed 2009 return which I already submitted.
This is the question would I pay both 2008 & 2009 taexes together or wait for a notification from the govt for the 2009 notification with the reasoning behind this decision, besides on my 2009 I deducted a service dog expenses my wife is a diabetic I had a letter from the Doctor stating it was a necessary situation my accountant didn't think this letter was necessary. At this time when I file my 2009 adjusted return would I include the letter yes or no with a reason why I should or shouldn't include the letter.
Category: Tax
Expert:  BK-CPA replied 4 years ago.

For each tax year, you file and pay separately. You do this whether or not you file an amended return, and regardless of what is on the returns themselves. It sounds like, if I understand your question correctly, you are now going to file an amended return? In any case...

No, don't attach the letter. First of all, you're not supposed to attach such a letter... you could if you wanted to I guess, but that just gives the IRS ammo. Second, you are to retain such documentation in the case of an audit, and during an audit, I highly suggest you supply only the information requested. Finally, if you deducted the service dog on your original return, and you are not changing anything with respect to that deduction, then attaching a letter about the service dog to your amended return is just going to get confusing and make it more likely you'll get audited.

Side note here, sorry: Your question is hard to understand because you used very poor grammar and run-on sentences, so if I'm not understanding you correctly, reply to let me know and be clear when you do. This helps me answer your question correctly.

Thank you for your question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry I write like cr-p. What I want to know do I pay both my 2008 return and my 2009 return together both IRS and State of NY or wait for a notification on my 2009 return. The 2008 return I have to pay anyway for IRS and NY State tax. I don't like the idea of having 2009 taxes hanging over me. Why shouldn't I pay my 2008 which is do and figure out what is do for 2009 and pay that also>

Mike.

Expert:  BK-CPA replied 4 years ago.

I don't know why you would be waiting to pay a 2008 tax obligation: IRS, state, or local.

I'm not sure what notification you're waiting for.

Use separate envelopes and separate checks with appropriate vouchers for making payments, otherwise you'll just confuse the government agencies.

You should figure out what is due for 2009 as well, and pay that too. The deadline for payment is due, even if you have some sort of extension to file.

Edited by BK-CPA on 5/3/2010 at 10:39 PM EST
Experience: Owner of a CPA firm
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have taxes do because I converted a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA and didn't pay the taxes for 2008. I want o know should I pay 2009 taxes which be at a minimum interst or wait for a notification?

Would I pay 2008 & 2009 under a seperate cover before the IRS notifies me for taxes do for 2009?

Expert:  BK-CPA replied 4 years ago.

You should have paid this for 2008. If you didn't you owe it and you need to pay it. If your 2008 return has now been filed incorrectly, you need to amend it. Make the payment with your amended return. No, you shouldn't sit back and wait for a notice. This is not a valid excuse for failure to pay tax when due, and you will owe interest and penalties on unpaid taxes.

If there is nothing wrong with your 2009 return, you don't need to amend it. If you haven't filed it yet, yes, you need to and will owe interest and penalties on any balance due.

Edited by BK-CPA on 5/3/2010 at 11:04 PM EST