How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My parents are giving us 300,000 to buy a house in the UK.

This answer was rated:

My parents are giving us £300,000 to buy a house in the UK. How do they go about setting up a loan to avoid paying gift tax, and what is the lowest rate of interest they can charge us? Finally, can they transfer the money into our account straight away and set up the loan retrospectively? This is what they are planning to do but am concerned about them being liable for gift tax if they don't write up a loan contract first. Thanks.

Thanks for your question

If you plan to pay all the loan back - then
1) it will not be treated as a gift
2) There will be no interest to declare to the tax office on which tax must be paid.

They can set up a written contract - that details what they will loan you - how much will be paid back - and over what period of time - (and whatever interest they wish to charge you) and signed by them and you. And detail any default arrangements should you not make payments on time - or fail to make payments.

As far as the legal aspect is concerned, you should each have an independent witness to sign but I am a UK tax expert - and not a UK law expert - so you may want to seek further advise on this.

Then they can deposit the money straight into your account - so that should the need arise
1) you have evidence that this was a loan from parents
2) they have evidence that this money was loaned and not gifted
3) they have evidence of the repayments received from you to repay the loan
4) Should they not survive before the full loan is repaid - then this can be collected when the estate is reviewed - to tie up all financial aspects

The only tax implication that will arise, is should you pay the loan back with interest - and then your parents should declare this untaxed interest to the tax office after each 5 April


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. Sorry are you a US or UK tax expert? It was unclear in the response. We are looking for someone in the US to answer this question, even though we live in the UK. Just to understand how the IRS treat this sort of loan.

We would essentially be hoping to slowly pay back the loan plus minimum IRS interest using the annual gift money my parents can give us. So essentially offsetting what we owe them over the years with the gift allowance (13,000 each to myself and my fiance from each of my parents, so $52,000 total offset each year).


Thanks for your response

I am a UK tax expert - so I shall arrange to have your question transferred to the USA tax forum - but do take note of the aspects that apply to you as the UK recipients


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you.

Hello JA Customer,


Your question has been transferred to the US tax forum to be addressed.


First, there is a misconception that gifts over $13,000 annually are taxable. That is not the case. Under current law, each taxpayer may give up to $1 million in gifts during their lifetime before they actually owe any gift tax. There is an additional $13,000 annual exclusion which does not even apply or reduce the $1 million lifetime limit. Gifts which exceed the $13,000 annual exclusion must be reported by the giver of the gift by filing Form 709 with the IRS which is a gift tax return. However, no gift tax is actually due until that taxpayer has used up his allowed $1 million lifetime exemption.


So if your parents were to give you a gift of £300,000 (which is approximately $458,000 US dollars), they are still below their allowed tax free lifetime gifts of $1 million each. They would simply need to file Form 709 and report they gave a gift of $458,000 (which would be $229,000 from each of them). This would then reduce the amount they each could still give in their lifetimes down from $1 million to $771,000 before any gift tax would ever be due.


That being the case, you do not really need to set this up as a loan. Your parents simply need to file form 709 and report the amount of the gift they have given you, and that will be the extent of their obligations and no tax will be due.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you JA Customer



Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience: 25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you that is great to know.

Thanks for using JA


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience