Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I filed electronically for our federal taxes. I sent a check

I filed electronically for our federal taxes. I sent a check by certified mail and it was postmarked by 4/15. However, the check was inadvertently sent to the wrong address and returned to me. Now what do I do?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,

The only thing you can do at this point is to mail the check to the correct address.

Depending on the amount that you actually owed with your return, you may or may not owe a little additional interest and penalties due to the late payment, even though this was not intentional. It depends on how much you ended up owing with your return. If you had paid in at least 90% of the same tax amount that you owed for 2008 or if you owed the IRS less than$1,000, then you should not owe any additional fees. If you owed more than this, then once the IRS receives your payment they will send you a notice stating the additional amount owed for penalties and interest and you can simply send them a separate check to cover those fees once the notice is received.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you JA Customer