Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

I sent my federal tax return and georgia return to atlanta

Customer Question

I sent my federal tax return and georgia return to atlanta headquarters. I did not know you send the federal seperate... to another place... It's May 01, 2010 now. I sent both in the same envelope of Feburary 18, 2010.. They didn't send my return(federal) back to me.. So I thought they forwarded it to where it needed to go. What do I do? And what are the penalties I may face?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,

On your federal return, were you due a refund?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I was due $2,907
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello again JA Customer,

As long as you did not owe any additional taxes with the filing of your federal return, then there will not be any penalties assessed for the late filing.

There is obviously no way to know if the state of GA forwarded your federal return to the proper address. So to be on the safe side you really need to mail another copy of your federal return to the correct address which for you would be:

Department of the Treasury

Internal Revenue Service Center

Atlanta, GANNN-NN-NNNN/p>

If it turns out that the state did forward your return, it will not hurt that you send a second copy. But I would suggest doing this so that you can receive your return without too much further delay.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you JA Customer

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok.. Well I'm in the process of moving now. If I change the return address on the form will they send it to that address (the place i'm moving too). This address is not listed on my return. Will this be a problem?
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello again JA Customer,

Did you request that your refund be mailed to you in the form of a check or did you request direct deposit to your bank account?

Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello again JA Customer,

Since I have not heard back as to whether or not you requested a check or direct deposit, I would make a couple of suggestions.

If you requested direct deposit to your bank, then your mailing address will not be an issue, as the refund will be sent by electronic transfer to your bank account.

If you did not request electronic transfer to your bank account, the ideal thing to do would be to change that portion of your return and request that your refund be directly deposited. That way you will have no issues with receiving the money and you will also get your refund quicker using this method.

If for some reason you do not wish to use direct deposit, then I would suggest that before you mail another copy of your return to the IRS, you change the address on that return to the one where you will be moving to. The IRS will use the address shown on the return as the mailing address for sending you a refund check.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you JA Customer