MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.

I am not an independant contractor, nor do I own my own business,

I am not an independant contractor, nor do I own my own business, but, if I purchase a $7000 piece of equiptment which is nessessary to improve the quality and productivity of my work am I able to write it off as an expense? Thank You
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 6 years ago.

Dear vl2mf21j -

In theory, yes you can purchase a piece of equipment and take a section 179 deduction for it. It must be used 100% for business to obtain the full benefit. The outlay must be related to work not investments. The deduction would be included as a miscellaneous itemized deduction. The expense along with all other miscellaneous deductions (tax prep fees, investment expenses, etc.) would be deductible for amounts that exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income.

I would hope that this will substantially increase your wages/salary. Another consideration is insurance and use on your employer's premises.