How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask BK-CPA Your Own Question
BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 933
Experience:  Owner of a CPA firm
Type Your Tax Question Here...
BK-CPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a stand-alone trust that owns 50% in an LLC partnership

This answer was rated:

I have a stand-alone trust that owns 50% in an LLC partnership membership in Texas. My 50% partner also has his membership in a stand-alone trust, too. So in essence 2 separate trusts own 100% of an LLC that operates as a partnership. (My partner and I just transferred our membership interests into separate trusts at the beginning of 2010; prior to that we co-owned the partnership in our personal names and took "draws" occasionally as distributions.) Now here's my question: Can my partner and I take payroll salaries now (instead of "draws') without having to declare that as distributions (since Trusts own the LLC and not us personally). We are thinking our trusts would take a year-end distribution after the year closes, but in the meantime we would put ourselves personally on as salaried employees. Is this permissible?

If you are working for the partnership as employees, you probably should be taking a salary regardless (unemployment taxes). This is all about self-employment tax to the IRS primarily, which you'd pay the equivalent of in employment taxes anyways, so it doesn't matter. If someone told you that you would have to pay self-employment taxes on top of payroll taxes, they are mistaken.


There are different kinds of trusts, but in determining whether or not you are an owner, related party rules will most certainly ensure that in your case you are still an owner. In other words, you didn't change your tax status for the most part by putting your interest in a trust. You must (or your accountant / lawyer etc.) have put the interest in trust for different reasons, which is common.


You probably won't even have the income flow through the trust until later years after someone dies, divorces, etc., meaning you'll report for income taxes the same way as you always have for now, even though the trust is the technical owner of your interest, if it's what kind of trust I think it is.


Say your share of a partnership's taxable income is $50K, trust or no trust. You can generally receive a K-1 for $0.00 and a $50K W2 should you choose to use wages, or you can receive no W2 and $50K as self-employment income in your K-1. You've always been able to do this, trust or no trust, and the amounts should be based on what a reasonable salary is for your work (ie - What would you have to pay someone else to do your job for your partnership?).

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. We put our ownership into the 2 trusts for privacy and estate planning reasons and not tax reasons.


This LLC was formed in 2007 and for Y07, Y08, and Y09. Very small company -- basically we are consultants that call in contractors occasionally. During the first 3 years, we took draws (distributions) every so often and paid our contractors and issued 1099s.


Now the face of the business is changing and it is growing. We'd like to put ourselves on small monthly payroll salaries, and maybe a couple of part-timers. So could we as partners take small salaries (issued ourselves W-2s at year-end along with part-timers) PLUS give us (as partners) a year-end dividend in the form of a distribution to our respective Trusts. So say salaries would be $25k each (on W-2) and year-end distribution to our trusts would be $10k each? It is my understanding (from attorney who set-up trusts) that Trusts have to file their own IRS returns and we must use our personal SSNs. Does that seem right? So in essence, withholding taxes would come from our W-2 salaries and self-employment tax on $10k would kick-in from our Trusts? Does that seem right?

Yes, you make take both salary and distributions as owners, via a trust or otherwise.


To cover the tax on the income that gets assigned to the trust, you can pay estimated tax payments (whether the trust takes a distribution or not, income from a partnership gets recognized when earned according to the partnership's accounting method and not when cash or property itself gets distributed).


I would suggest covering your entire personal tax liability (which may/probably includes the trust's share) using your wage withholding. This is because federal withholding is considered as paid evenly throughout the year, even if the bulk is withheld in December, assuming you weren't rigging your payroll to deter tax payments generally speaking.


Some kinds of trusts have to file tax returns, some don't at all. I would assume yours wouldn't, but as I said, I have no idea at this point. Your professional would obviously know for your case.

BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 933
Experience: Owner of a CPA firm
BK-CPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience

Related Tax Questions