Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

Can a 501c3 (non-proffit, tax-deductible donations) promote

Can a 501c3 (non-proffit, tax-deductible donations) promote that it is raising funds for an individual's medical treatment, or does it have to be for a broader cause? I know people can fundraise for their own treatment, but the donations are not deductible. And I know charities gift money to individuals. But can the fundraiser campaign say "give your tax-deductible donations to help little Timmy with his medical bills"? I have received conflicting information on this.

Hello JA Customer,

The organization must not be organized or operated for the benefit of private interests, and no part of a section 501(c)(3) organization's net earnings may inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual. If the organization engages in an excess benefit transaction with a person having substantial influence over the organization, an excise tax may be imposed on the person and any organization managers agreeing to the transaction.

You cannot advertise that you are raising funds for any one individual or group, or you would risk losing your non profit charitable status.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you JA Customer