Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

I filed my 2009 1040 and owed $796 which I paid. I realized

I filed my 2009 1040 and owed $796 which I paid. I realized I had not included my son who meets qualifying relative status as a dependent. he meets all the tests including income amount and parents furnishing over half support. When completing 1040X, how do I show the additional payment made of $796 to get credit for it so my refund amount on 1040X is correct?
thank you
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,

You would enter the amount of $796 on line 15 of the Form 1040X.

Note that line 15 is for:

Total amount paid with request for extension of time to file, tax paid with original return, and additional tax paid after return was filed

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you JA Customer