How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anne Your Own Question
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2366
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Anne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I am a non-resident for tax purposes in South Africa

This answer was rated:

I am a non-resident for tax purposes in South Africa (I haven't formally emigrated, however I spend only about 2 weeks a year in the country).
I have cash in a savings account in South Africa that attracts interest, is this interest included as part of my taxable income?
HiCustomerbr />
Thank you for using justanswer. Interest paid to non-residents (other than those who are residents of Lesotho, Namibia and Swaziland) is generally exempt from tax. In order to qualify, a non-resident must be in South Africa less than 183 days in order to keep this income exempt, so based on the facts above, you would not need to report this income to South Africa.

If you are a US citizen, green card holder, or Resident Alien for US tax purposes however, you will need to include this as part of your world wide income on your US tax return.

Please see below for more in depth information: (you will need to copy and paste the below link into your web browser:

I hope this helps.

Anne and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you