Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

Somone has fraudulently claimed me as a dependent on their

Somone has fraudulently claimed me as a dependent on their tax returns. I think that I know who it might be but i am not sure. This may have been going on for at least three years. How can I find out who it is and how can I recapture the deduction?

Thank You, XXXXX
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.
Dear XXXXX

You may not get from the IRS information about the person who claimed you as a dependent. The IRS will not reveal this information to you.

You may however file your own tax return - but would not be able to do that electronically - you should mail a paper tax return and add a note that someone fraudulently claimed you as a dependent - and that is incorrect.

If you did not file your tax returns - you may do so - and you will get any refund you are entitled for past three years.
The person who fraudulently claimed you as a dependent - will get a letter from the IRS requesting to pay back all overpaid money.

If you suspect or know of an individual or company that is not complying with the tax laws, you may report this activity by completing Form 3949-A. You may fill out Form 3949-A online, print it and mail it to: XXXXX Fresno, CA 93888

If you do not wish to use Form 3949-A, you may send a letter to the address above. Please include the following information, if available:

• Name and address of the person you are reporting
  • The taxpayer identification number (social security number for an individual or employer identification number for a business)
  • A brief description of the alleged violation, including how you became aware of or obtained the information
  • The years involved
  • The estimated dollar amount of any unreported income
  • Your name, address and daytime telephone number

Although you are not required to identify yourself, it is helpful to do so. Your identity can be kept confidential.

Let me know if you need any help.
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations