Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

My 41 year old daughter and her 2 teen age children lived me

My 41 year old daughter and her 2 teen age children lived me my wife and myself all of last year. She had no job or income and only about 4 weeks of unemployment. Can we claim them as dependents as we supplied room and board and most other things that they needed.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,

You may claim your daughter and her two children as dependents as long as the following all apply.

1. Your daughter did not have income of her own of more than$3,650 for the year. I would assume if her only income was from 4 weeks of unemployment benefits, her income would be below this amount.

2. You provided more than half of their total support.

3. Your grandchildren are not the qualifying children of another taxpayer -- basically meaning here that the father does not have the right to claim them.

If all of those rules can be met, then you can claim your daughter and both of your grandchildren as dependents.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you JA Customer