Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I have a friend who is on SS.. 65 and received SS of around

I have a friend who is on SS.. 65 and received SS of around 11000.00 a year. Does she have to pay taxes on this... and if not does she have to file a return. Also if she has made a small amount 2,000 w2 wages in this year... does she file on that and which forms should she use.....
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello Jarod,

SS benefits are not taxable unless you also have too much other income. If the only other income your friend had other than SS was $2,000, then she would not owe taxes and is not required to file a return.

The rent credit is a state credit she may be eligible for, but even this credit only applies if you owe taxes to begin with. Since she owes no taxes and is not even required to file a return, the rent credit would not even apply.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you Jarod