Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues

Is temporary alilmony that is spelled out in a temporary order

Customer Question

Is temporary alilmony that is spelled out in a temporary order tax deductable for the payer? The Stipulated Pendente Lite Order, specifically states that the payment is tax deductable. The payer has custodial powers for a non biological step child for which the payee is recieving child support from the biological father. The child resides with the payer. In the order it states that the payee will keep the child support in leau of alimony.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 6 years ago.

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

Where was your lawyer on this one? It seems that the Court's intention was to have your soon to be ex-wife keep the child support in lieu of your PAYMENT of alimony, rather than in lieu of alimony.

You need your lawyer to confirm to you that is the case & the existing wording is ambiguous. Of course, if your soon to be ex agrees that she will report the child support as alimony, rather than exchange checks, everything should be fine.

She had better be careful as is her ex & father get wind of this he'll be after a modification of his child support, which will really get confusing.

Please remember to click on the green "ACCEPT" "ICON" & thanks again for using our service. Feedback, if you have time, is most appreciated.