Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues

I am preparing a 1041 for the estate. I have a few items I

I am preparing a 1041 for the estate. I have a few items I am not sure about.

I have a payment to Penn. Dept. of Revenue for Penn. estate taxes. Is this estate tax deductible on the 1041? If so, what line of 1041 do I put it on, 11 or 19?

A few miscellaneous administrative expenses: 1) There are a couple of payments to the County for probate fees; 2) There are several payments to area newspapers for the advertisement of the estate; and 3) there are two payments to the County for several copies of the certificate of death. Are these expenses deductible on the 1041, and, if so, where do I put

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

1. No the PA estate taxes paid are not deductible on the 1041.

2. Probate fees, newspaper advertisements, and expense of copies of death certificates are all expenses that are deductible on the estate tax return. Hopefully, whoever did the estate tax return either deducted these expenses or included an estimate covering these administration expenses as a deduction on the PA Estate Tax return.

The expenses you would claim on the 1041 would usually just be related to any income received or earned by the estate.

Please remember to click on the green "ACCEPT" "ICON", & thanks again for using our service. Feedback, if you have time, is most appreciated.