Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
753989

Can I claim my girlfriend and her two children as qualifying

Can I claim my girlfriend and her two children as "qualifying relatives" on my taxes. She will not file this year, and her kids have no income of their own, beyond child support. Although my contribution is greater than the support paid.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I will give the best answer that I can with the information provided.

Hello there,

If your girlfriend is not required to file a return and does not file one and claim her own children, then you may claim them as qualifying relatives providing all of the qualifying relative conditions are met, such as residency (live with you all year), you pay more than 1/2 the cost of their support, etc.

Unfortunately, even though you may be able to claim them as dependents, you cannot use them for head of household status, earned income credit, or child tax credit.

Pub. 501 from www.irs.gov has a lot of information regarding dependency if you need more info.

Please let me know if I can assist further.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Wendy.

Just to make sure I understand, I can use the three as deductions provided the tests are met (which they are). This is still beneficial to me is it not? I understand about the HOH and EIC.

Paul
It will be beneficial to you if you have tax liability before claiming them. For example, Suppose that your income is $8000, and after standard deduction and personal exemption you have no taxable income. Then, claiming additional dependents (which lower your taxable income) will have no impact. If your income is for example $25,000, and after your own exemption and standard deduction your taxable income is $15,650, then claiming three dependents will further reduce your taxable income to 4,700 and you will pay less tax, so it will be worth it.
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience: 15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.