Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I am a resident of Texas. I was sent to California to work

I am a resident of Texas. I was sent to California to work for 6 days. My w-2 shows $300+ withheld in CA state tax. What do I do?

Hello JA,

Anytime that you physically work within the borders of a state that imposes a state income tax, the money you earn while there is subject to income taxes in that state. This is why your employer withheld CA taxes on that income, as they are legally obligated to do so.

What you will need to do is file a tax return with CA as a non resident. You will only report the amount of income that you actually earned while in the state of CA. Depending on your total income and the taxes that were withheld, you may be entitled to a partial or total refund of the taxes withheld from your check, but you will need to file a nonresident return with CA to claim any refund which may be due.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you JA

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much. I have just a couple of follow-up questions.

Do you know what form I should use or if this is possible through online tax paying services such as Turbotax?

Is the CA Tax return deadline the same as Federal, April 15th?

Hello again JA,

The form you would file as a nonresident would be CA Form 540NR. This form is also available if you use an on line service such as Turbo Tax or Tax Act or any of the software programs.

The filing deadline is April 15th, the same as the federal deadline.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you JA

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much!

Thank you Zach