Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

Im not sure if I need to file California State taxes and or

Customer Question

I'm not sure if I need to file California State taxes and or which form to use. My total CA wages were only 1378 and Federal AGI was 6362. I am a part year resident and took a partial distribution from my individal IRA acoount and was taxed on it (494).
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 4 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,

As long as your CA source income is less than $11,698 for the year, then you are not required to file a CA tax return. However, if any CA taxes were actually withheld from your $1,378 in CA wages, you should file a return as a part year resident as you should be entitled to a full refund of any taxes they withheld. If no CA taxes were withheld, there is no reason to file.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you JA Customer

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you but just so I'm clear, I did have taxes withheld but it was only $12.65 in CA. So you're saying that the fact that I took a partial didtribution from my IRA has no effect on State taxes? Only Federal?
Expert:  Merlo replied 4 years ago.

Hello again JA Customer,

Your IRA withdrawal is only subject to state taxes in the state where you resided at the time the withdrawal was made. But even if you were a resident of CA at the time that was done, as long as your total income from CA including that withdrawal is below the amount of $11,698, you would not need to file a CA return.

As far as federal taxes, if your gross income for the year is less than $9,350, including your IRA withdrawal, you would not be required to file a federal return, UNLESS you are under the age of 59-1/2. If you are under that age then you would owe the 10% early withdrawal penalty on the IRA distribution. But that same penalty does not apply to state taxes, so no state return would be required.

Thank you JA Customer

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am under 59 1/2 and I did file Frederal taxes because I did owe the penalty. Just want to make sure it wouldn't benefit me at all to file any State taxes- or if I just can't because i didn't make enough $$!
Expert:  Merlo replied 4 years ago.

Hello again JA,

The only benefit to you of filing CA taxes is that you would get a refund of the $12.65 they withheld in state taxes. It may not be worth your while to take the time and trouble to file a return for that amount of money. But filing a return with CA would not offer you any other tax advantages.

Thanks JA

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I also have a $60 renters credit. Would I get that as well? Every little bit counts...
Expert:  Merlo replied 4 years ago.

Hello again JA,

No, you would not get that credit. The only way you get that credit is that it would be applied to taxes that you owe in the state. If you owe no taxes to CA to begin with, then there is nothing to apply the renters credit to. The only thing you would get is a refund of the $12.65.

Thank you JA

Merlo, Accountant
Experience: 25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you !
Expert:  Merlo replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome