Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

I accidentally used the EIN (on the bank account) for a corporation

I accidentally used the EIN (on the bank account) for a corporation that had been closed throughout the year last year (corporation I had opened in another state which had been closed because of lack of attention from the attorney) Now I would like to pay taxes for 2009 and that EIN really does not have an open corporation and I do not want to reopen the corp or revive it in an way. Can I pay on my social security number? I also owe two 1099's through that year to friends/business associates so I need to accurately send those.

Hello JA Customer,

The number that you used on a bank account really has nothing to do with your taxes at all or the number you would use when filing your taxes.

If you are now operating as a sole proprietor, you can simply report your income and expenses under your own SS number. You may also apply for a new EIN for your current business and use that number.

As long as you did not actually make any tax payments under that old EIN, then you have no issues just by using it for your bank account information, as that is not tied directly to your tax returns.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you JA Customer