Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

hello, we purchased a new home July 30, 2009 and lived in our

hello, we purchased a new home July 30, 2009 and lived in our previous residence from 2001 until july of 2009 do we qualify for the $6500.00 tax credit?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,

The credit which allows repeat home buyers to claim a credit of $6,500 was signed in to law on 11/6/09 and it is not retroactive. It only applies to homes purchased between 11/7/09 and 4/30/09.

Unfortunately your purchase in July of 2009 would not qualify, as the credit was not in effect at that time. I am truly sorry I could not give you a more favorable answer.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you JA Customer