Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
753989

I live in New Jersey and work in NYC. What taxes and other

I live in New Jersey and work in NYC. What taxes and other deductions will be taken from my pay? Will NY State/City tax still be deducted along with the NJ tax?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I will give the best answer that I can with the information provided.

I can only tell you what SHOULD be deducted from your pay, as I have seen many New York employers make errors in tax withholding and W2 preparation.

Since you work physically in NY State, your employer should withhold NY State tax. You are not subject to NYC tax since you are not a resident of NYC UNLESS you work for the city, such as a public school teacher or transit worker.

You also may be subject to NY disability tax if your employer participates with the state disability plan. (This is only generally pennies to a couple dollars on each paycheck)

When you file a tax return, in addition to filing your federal return, you must file a NY State Non-resident return (IT-203) and file a NJ resident return. You will use Schedule A on the NJ return to calculate a credit for taxes paid to another jurisdiction (new york state). This effectively will alleviate double taxation on that income.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Wendy. Sorry if I was not so clear, but I am coming to the US next month (from Brazil) and wanted to know from my total paycheck (let's say US$1.000 per month), how is the percentage that will be deducted (as city and state) taxes?

Thanks in advance,

Tiago Papa

Well in order to help you better, I need to know how much your gross pay is and what the pay period is...Is it $1,000 per month and you are paid once a month?

Also, will you be working for the city or for a private company?

How will you fill out your W4 form? (Married or Single, # XXXXX exemptions) Generally if you are single you would fill it out as single 0 or single 1. The more exemptions you pick, the less tax is taken out.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, I got it. My gross payment is $12,500 total per month (and I am paid twice a month), I'll be working for a private company, and I'll fill the W4 as married with no kids (and my wife will be my dependent, if posible).

How much will be taken of my gross payment?

Married, 0, on $6250 semi-monthly will look something like this: (401k, medical insurance, or other non-taxable deductions are not considered)

Your Pay Check Results

Semi-monthly Gross Pay

$6,250.00

Federal Withholding

$1,169.73

Social Security

$387.50

Medicare

$90.63

New York

$416.40

NY SDI

$1.30

Net Pay

$4,184.44
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience: 15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.