JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA
Experience:  CPA with tax experience.
23848519

my annual earned income is less than 12000 dollars, ive been

my annual earned income is less than 12000 dollars, ive been paying 400$ a yr to have H&R Block tell me I dont owe anything. My question is do you think I should keep paying H&R ?
Category: Tax
Expert:  JKCPA replied 6 years ago.

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your question.

Unless you are filing single or filing married separate, your gross income of less than $12000 (excluding non-taxable disability) is lower than the minimum filing requirements for a tax return. Each year the minimum gross income amounts change slightly. You can check if you need to file by looking at IRS Pub. 17 each year under "Do I have to file a return?" For 2009, see http://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch01.html#en_US_publink1000170388

You would also want to file a return in future years if your income increases or if you wish to claim refundable credits. To answer your question, you do not have to go to a tax preparer (like H&R Block) if you have determined for yourself that you do not have to file unless you feel more comfortable in doing that.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,