How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JKCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5884
Experience:  CPA with tax experience.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
JKCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my annual earned income is less than 12000 dollars, ive been

Resolved Question:

my annual earned income is less than 12000 dollars, ive been paying 400$ a yr to have H&R Block tell me I dont owe anything. My question is do you think I should keep paying H&R ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  JKCPA replied 6 years ago.

Hello Bob,


Thanks for your question.


Unless you are filing single or filing married separate, your gross income of less than $12000 (excluding non-taxable disability) is lower than the minimum filing requirements for a tax return. Each year the minimum gross income amounts change slightly. You can check if you need to file by looking at IRS Pub. 17 each year under "Do I have to file a return?" For 2009, see


You would also want to file a return in future years if your income increases or if you wish to claim refundable credits. To answer your question, you do not have to go to a tax preparer (like H&R Block) if you have determined for yourself that you do not have to file unless you feel more comfortable in doing that.


Hope this helps,

Best regards,



JKCPA and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you