How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anne_C Your Own Question
Anne_C, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2302
Experience:  Attorney, JD awarded with Certification in Tax Law
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Anne_C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was never paid by a company but received a W-2.

Resolved Question:

I received a W-2 from Pepsi, but I never got paid. I called them several times to get a W2C and I also went to the place, but they do not care. What can I do?

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne_C replied 6 years ago.

This is what you need to do:

If your attempts to have an incorrect Form W-2 (PDF) corrected by your employer are unsuccessful and it is after February 15th, contact the IRS toll-free at - 800 - 829 - 1040.
An IRS representative can initiate a Form W-2 (PDF) complaint. A letter will be sent to the employer requesting that they furnish a corrected Form W-2 to you within ten days. The letter advises the employer to their responsibilities to provide a correct Form W-2 (PDF) and of the penalties to do so.
You will be sent a letter that provides instructions and Form 4852 (PDF), Substitute W-2 and Tax Statement, or Form 1099-R, Distributions from Pensions, Annunities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc. The Form 4852 may be used in the event that the employer does not provide you with the corrected Form W-2 in time to file your tax return.

When you call the IRS or visit an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center (TAC), please have the following information available:
Your employer's name and complete address, including zip code, employer identification number (if known - see prior year's Form W-2 (PDF) if you worked same employer), and telephone number, your name, address, including zip code, social security number, and telephone number; and an estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and the period you worked employer. The estimate should be based on year-to-date information from your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if possible.

If you file your return and attach Form 4852 (PDF) to support the withholding amount claimed instead of a Form W-2 (PDF), your refund can be delayed while the information you gave is verified.

If you receive a Form W-2 (PDF) after you file your return and it does not agree with the income or withheld tax you reported on your status, file an amended return on Form 1040X (PDF), Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

Additional Information:

Form 4852 (PDF), Substitute W-2
Tax Topic 154, Form W-2 - what to do if not received
Tax Topic 308, Amended Returns

Form 1040X (PDF), Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return

This is from the IRS website at -,,id=199593,00.html

Good Luck!

Anne_C, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2302
Experience: Attorney, JD awarded with Certification in Tax Law
Anne_C and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I did call the IRS, but they said that they can only mail a letter if the employer did not send a W-2. I did receive a W-2, but I never received any money from Pepsi in 2009. Pepsi just send me the check last week after 9 months. The IRS said that this problem is between Pepsi and I. That the only other thing I can do is take legal action. I have been trying to fix this six to seven weeks, but I am not getting anywhere with this people. I have left Pepsi HR and Payroll several messages, but no one have the courtesy to call back. Then 3 weeks ago I when to Pepsis' office and requested a W2C and they said that they could not do that.

What else can I do?

Expert:  Anne_C replied 6 years ago.

If Pepsi did not pay you last year, you will want to have a corrected W-2; otherwise, you will be taxed you did not receive.

To get Pepsi to pay your wages, you need to file a wage claim with the Texas Workforce Commission. Here is a link to the claim form to do that:

Good luck.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you response! Pepsi just send me a check last week. I don't really care about the check I just want a W2C and so far I have been unable to get it from them. What else can I do? Can I take legal action? And if yes, what is the process?


Expert:  Anne_C replied 6 years ago.

Thanks additional information.

Whomever you talked to at the IRS did not understand the situation. You need to call them back and tell them you were issued a W-2 , but that you were not paid in 2009. Therefore, the W-2 is incorrect and needs to be corrected. (The correction will be to $0) Just leave out the part about being paid in 2010; it will confuse them. Ask them to initiate the dispute resolution procedures I described in my first post.

Keep in mind that in dealing with the IRS at this time of the year, you are dealing with temporary employees who may not be particularly well educated on some issues. You may need to talk to a supervisor or a more experienced employee to get this moving.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience