Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

If you hire some one that is collecting unemployement and they

If you hire some one that is collecting unemployement and they go off for only a few weeks while they work for you how much of their future unemployment would I be liable for? The previous employer had them for several years and this person has only collected a couple weeks to date. Thank you!
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

New SUTA rates In Florida are started Jan 1, 2010 and are based on annual salary up to $8,500 per employee:

-- Minimum rate: 0.0118 or $100.30 per employee

-- Maximum rate: 0.0540 or $459 per employee

Florida assigns new employers an initial tax rate of 0.0270

Let me know if you need any help.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You didnt answer my question. Will I have to pay his unemployment after he works for me for 2 or 3 weeks? I know I have to pay into it but will I be liable for his weekly check if he becomes unemployed again?
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

You do not pay unemployment to the person who works for you - you will only pay SUTA taxes that are used to pay unemployment benefits.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
do I have to continue to pay them if he is my only employee and he leaves Lev?
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

You will pay SUTA taxes as a percentage of wages paid.

If you do not pay any wages - there would not be any SUTA taxes.

When wages for a specific person overpass $8,500 - you would not pay SUTA taxes for that person in the current year - only first $8,500 of wages are taxable.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Can you please just answer the original question below? Once they leave me do I have any exposure to the money they collect???

If you hire some one that is collecting unemployement and they go off for only a few weeks while they work for you how much of their future unemployment would I be liable for?

Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

You as an employer are not liable for unemployment benefits.

Unemployment benefits are paid by the unemployment insurance - http://www.floridajobs.org/unemployment/

You as an employer are only liable to pay SUTA taxes which are used to fund the unemployment insurance.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks