How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can Wendy Rieger answer this I saw that she has answered a

This answer was rated:

can Wendy Rieger answer this? I saw that she has answered a lot of questions and has a 100% approval rating.

I have not filed taxes yet for this year or for 2009. I did turbotax in 2009 but my state (VA) and federal taxes were both rejected for reasons I did not understand. Now I have a different computer and that info is lost.

Regarding taxes for 2010: Until Feb of 2009 I worked in a coffee shop which closed abruptly bc of a shooting tragedy. I have not gotten tax forms from the surviving owner and don't know how to contact her.

In 2009 I was very sick and in and out of the hospital, one reason I didn't follow up with re-filing my taxes.

How can I square myself with the IRS and even avoid penalty? I want to do the right thing, quickly, if I can. Thanks!

Hello there,


I am sorry that I did not see your question until now.

For future reference, Just Answer allows you to request a specific expert.


When you have not filed taxes for this year or 2009, what you really mean is that you haven't filed for tax year 2009 or 2008 I think, since you usually file for the tax year during the first three-four months of the next year.


The first thing that you can do is to get all the paperwork that you have to reconstruct your records, and request any W2 forms form past employers that you had in 2008 and 2009. As you said, if you cannot contact the surviving owner, you may be able to reconstruct your income by using pay stubs.


You can call the IRS to tell them that you never received a W2 for 2009, and they can further assist you by trying to contact the employer. Here is information regarding this option:,,id=106470,00.html


If the above is not feasible, then you can request transcripts of income that was reported under your social security number for 2008 and 2009 (although 2009 records will not be available yet) and use these transcripts to reconstruct your income and taxes withheld for filing purposes. Here is a link to the form and instructions:


The problem with getting W2 information from the IRS is that they don't include state information. You may want to try the VA dept of revenue to see if you can get a copy of W2s filed with the state:


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will the IRS assess penalties against me? I'm really worried about this. Thank you for such a complete answer. i didn't realize I could request a specific expert, but glad you saw this!

The IRS and state of VA can assess penalties and interest for late filing and late payment on the 2009 return. However, it may be possible that you are due refunds, depending upon your overall tax situation---for example, income and withholding, deductions, etc. If you do owe, you may request abatement of penalties due to hospitalization. This would be the form to use if it comes to that:


You are not late for this year, so unless you have a gross underpayment of tax there should be no penalties.

Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience: 15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Wendy Reed and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience