Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

If I filed exempt status on my taxes the last coupld months,

If I filed exempt status on my taxes the last coupld months, does this make me ineligible from claiming my unemployment insurance as I have now been laid off?

Hello JA Guest,

The tax status that you claim for withholding purposes has nothing to do with your eligibility for unemployment benefits.

As long as you were working for an employer who paid in to the unemployment compensation fund, then if you have been laid off you should be eligible for benefits, regardless of whether any taxes had been withheld from your checks.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you JA Guest