Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I was divorced in Mar 2009 in Colorado. The decreee states

I was divorced in Mar 2009 in Colorado. The decreee states that any profit/loss from the sale of the marital home is the responsibility of my ex-husband. He was also awarded all mortgage interest and tax deductions on the property. The marital home actually sold (at a loss) and closed in October 2009. How do I report this sale on my individual return?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello JA Guest,

If your husband is the one who was actually awarded the home in your property settlement, then you are not required to report anything on this sale since it occurred after you were divorced. In addition, no taxes will be due in any event since the home was sold at a loss.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you JA Guest