How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our oldest daugher and her 2 children are living with me for

This answer was rated:

Our oldest daugher and her 2 children are living with me for the past 14 months.
My daugther is legally disabled as with her oldest daughter. She hasn't worked
in this time frame and my question is can I claim my 2 grandaugher's as dependents
for the 2009 Tax year?



As long as your daughter did not have income of her own of more than $3,650 for the year, and if your provided more than half of her total support, then you may claim your daughter as a dependent on your return. You may also claim both of your grandchildren as long as your daughter did not have enough income of her own where she is required to file a return.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank youCustomer/p>



Merlo and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you