How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax Expert Your Own Question
Tax Expert
Tax Expert,
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 13804
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax Expert is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Last year my wife started receiving a pension from the UK.

Customer Question

Last year my wife started receiving a pension from the UK. I plan on reporting that on form 1040 line 21 is that correct?
My wife only worked a few years and did not qualify for a full pension but the UK allows you to make a lump sum contribution to improve your position. She did that, also in 2009.
Can that lump sum contribution be deducted? If so where?
If it cannot be deducted would it be reasonable to not report the income for 2009 since there was a net loss?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax Expert replied 7 years ago.
Hi forsythe99

Am I right in thinking your question relates to the completion of a USA tax return ?
If so I shall arrange to transfer your question to USA tax forum


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You are right.
Expert:  Tax Expert replied 7 years ago.
I shall arrange for this to be transfered for you