JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA
Experience:  CPA with tax experience.
23848519

i live in nyc. I used my parents address in westchester when

i live in nyc. I used my parents address in westchester when filing my federal return since my mail delivery at my apartment in nyc is not always fast and sometimes they put it in the wrong mailing address. The nyc address is on the W2s. Now the IRS wants to audit me because of the amount of taxes witheld by employers do not make sense. I filled out my return info exactly as presented on my w2s. Will the address be an issue for me?
Category: Tax
Expert:  JKCPA replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thanks for your question.

Using your parent's address on your tax return should not matter as long as you are sure you will have no problem receiving any IRS mail by using that address. If you wish to change your address with the IRS, you can file a Form 8822 (Rev. December 2008)

Hope this helps,

Best regards,