Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I was arrested for indecent exposure last year, and am on probation

Customer Question

I was arrested for indecent exposure last year, and am on probation for a couple of years. As part of the probation my PO thought it might be good to see a psychologist so I don't do this anymore. My psychologist told me that I could claim the money I pay him on my 2009 tax claim. My mom does my taxes and said that you can deduct your medical expenses but I just wanted to make sure that this is a "medical expense" I don't want to get in trouble with the "tax gods" Thank you
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 years ago.

That is correct - please see IRS publication 502 - - page 13.

Psychologist. You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay to a psychologist for medical care.

You can deduct on Schedule A (Form 1040) only the amount of your medical and dental expenses that is more than 7.5% of your AGI(Form 1040, line 38).

Let me know if you need any help.