Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

What is my employer put the wrong Social Security number on

Customer Question

What is my employer put the wrong Social Security number on my W2?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Have you contacted the employer and requested a corrected W-2 form?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, but I am worried that with this error that I will have to pay out. Is there any recourse to the employer
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello again lp,

This error should not cause you to pay in any more taxes than you already do or do not owe.

If the employer has been withholding taxes from your paychecks all year as he should have been doing, then you need to have him give you a corrected W-2 form with your correct SS number. He also then needs to supply that corrected information to the IRS. If the taxes have been withheld then this is just a matter of correcting the records so that those taxes are credited to the correct taxpayer.

The employer apparently just keyed in a wrong SS number in your payroll records, and he simply needs to correct this by issuing you a corrected form. It should not have any affect on the taxes you actually owe or any affect on the employer.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you lp