Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I have a 1099-c form how much does that affect my tax refu

Customer Question

I have a 1099-c form how much does that affect my tax refund?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello sady,

What type of debt was this that was canceled? Was this on a home loan or a credit card?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It was a Bank of America credit card.
Expert:  Merlo replied 6 years ago.

Hello again sady,

The amount of the canceled debt reported on the form 1099-C is considered taxable income to you and must be reported on line 21 of your form 1040 as other income.

You may be able to exclude this from your taxable income if you can show that you were insolvent at the time this debt was canceled. That means showing that your liabilities were more than your assets.

To claim exclusion under the insolvency rules, you would need to complete form 982 and attach that to your tax return along with the worksheet provided with that form which shows how you proved your insolvency state.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you sady