Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

I lost all my tax records from last year 2008. How do I do

I lost all my tax records from last year 2008. How do I do this years taxes
without them?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 4 years ago.

Hello ffjvn,

Is it just W-2 forms and 1099 forms that you need, or have you lost records of expenses that you need to deduct?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no I have not lost anything from this year 2009.

I have a 2 family I live in one of the apartments
so one is rental property. I think he may have
itemized last year. He is my uncle who can't
do my taxes again he is ill.

Thanks
Expert:  Merlo replied 4 years ago.

Hello again ffjvn,

Thank you for the additional information. If you have rental property involved, you really should try to obtain a copy of last year's returns so that you are carrying forward all of the same depreciation figures, losses, etc.

There are a couple of options for you to get a copy of your return. If you used a paid preparer to prepare your return, then the preparer should be able to provide you with a copy. That would be the fastest way to get it. If you used one of the on-line software programs such as Turbo Tax or Tax Act, then you may be able to go to their website and enter your user name and password, and then print out a copy of your return.

You can request an actual copy of your return from the IRS by filling out Form 4506. There is a $57 fee required for each tax year return being requested, and it may take up to 60 days before you receive the copy.

You may also request from the IRS a Transcript of your return. A tax return transcript is not an actual copy of your return, but instead it is a computer printout which will show the line item entries you made on your return, and can include information from the W-2 forms and 1099 forms which were issued to you.

A tax transcript is free of charge and may be ordered either by mail or by phone. To order by mail you would fill out Form 4506-T and mail that to the IRS. To order by phone, call(NNN) NNN-NNNN In many cases, when you call to order a tax transcript, the IRS can actually fax you the transcript within 24 hours. If a fax is not available of your records, then the IRS will mail you the transcript, and it generally takes between 7 to 10 days to receive.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you ffjvn, and let me know if you have more questions.

Merlo, Accountant
Experience: 25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad