Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

How do I get my IRS SS-4?

I lost the copy of my SS-4 form. Where can I get it (I have my EIN number already) or the filing receipt?

An actual copy of the SS-4 form is not available, unless you kept a copy for your records.

If you need verification of the EIN number that was assigned to you by the IRS, you can request what is called a 147C Letter. To request this, you should send a letter to the IRS Service Center where you normally file your tax returns Indicate that you need a 147C Letter to verify the EIN number assigned to you, and explain the reason you need this information.

The IRS will then issue you a letter to verify the EIN you were issued, but they will not supply you with a copy of your original application on the SS-4 form.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What about a filling receipt?

I am not sure the reason you need a filing receipt or a copy of the SS-4, but the fact that you were issued an EIN should in itself be proof that you filed the form. The IRS does not issue copies of the SS-4 or a receipt for the filing of the form. They will only supply you with a letter to confirm the EIN you were issued if you have misplaced this information.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have the EIN but it doesn’t say my business name on it and I need it for DHL to bring in my packages from customs.

Then you should request the 147C Letter that I talked about in my first response. The letter you receive from the IRS should contain both your business name and the EIN that was issued for that business name.