Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

can i claim my 25 year old son as dependent he is full time

can i claim my 25 year old son as dependent? he is full time student lives with me and earned $3166.00 last year....he also received grants and student they make a difference?

Hello purple,

You may claim your son as a dependent as long as you provided for more than half of his total support and as long as he did not have income of his own of more than $3,650 for the year. Assuming that his grants are not taxable, they would not be included in determining the income level of $3,650, and the student loans are not considered income.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you purple

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how do know if grant is taxable

Hello purple,

If the grant money was used to pay for tuition and eligible related student fees, then the grant should not be taxable income. If the grant was used for personal expenses, then it would be taxable income.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you purple